16.5.11

the pros and cons of public transportation

pros:
I don't have to do things like look at the road and pay attention to speed limits and pedestrians.
I get to read.
You don't have to look for your car keys. Because you don't have any.
You just walk to the stop and wait for it to pick you up. It being the trolley bus. It looks like a giant bug.

cons:
waiting for it to pick you up.
sometimes you don't get to read, because you are jam packed like sardines with people who smell less than attractive, and you don't get a seat the whole ride. Unless you want to deprive some 100 year old babushka of a seat. Please don't.
sometimes your bus doesn't show up. whilst a car just you know, is in your driveway.
I have probably forgotten how to drive.


There are 16 days until I am back in the states. Eastern Europe is awesome. I have seen beautiful things and amazing places and have grown up so much since I left in January. I have been so privileged to have this opportunity. But I am ready to come home. And sometimes it takes mucho effort to not just want to hibernate and count down days. I try to keep busy to make time go by. I have a list of things I need to do and see before it's time to go and I am plodding along checking them off. And the weather has been lovely. Kiev has been lovely. But I need hugs. From Elliott. And dryers. And an bed. And actual food. And my actual home country.

You could be laying on the coast in Bali sipping a pina colada getting a killer back massage, but after 4 months of the most amazing vacation in the most beautiful place in the world, you would be totally ok with saying, alright, peace out, I want to go weed my garden with my fiance in the middle of nowhere, Washington.

I think it takes bravery to go abroad for extended periods of time, and immerse yourself in a new culture and be far away from your family and friends. I think it takes bravery to leave everything you know behind. I think sometimes it takes more courage to stay.. and bloom where you're planted, and be the best you can be where ever you are and whoever you are with and whatever you are supposed to be doing.

And in my future travels I hope that my luv will want to tag a long and explore with me : ) Because there is still so much to see, it just means more with those you care about.

Luv,
Kayla

This is a metro. I ride it every day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment