21.2.10

Tehuacan and the Adventures Thereof


Friday night we went to one of our students birthday parties. They had an incredible house, it was beautiful, and also incredible food. We ate sloppy jose's ( I named them that..) and some realllly good cake. I think that when people imagine kids our age from the states they don't exactly picture... us. Neat Mormon kids. I mean I spent my days with little to no makeup and my hair back in a ponytail, people usually think I'm about 16. And then they are all "Ohhh! You're a teacher?" Yeah I don't believe it either.

Then we were off on another adventure. We gathered up our backpacks and rushed to the main street to catch a bus to Capu, the bus station. I associate Capu with anxiety. We are always running down the halls of this bus station catching our buses seconds before they drive off. This always happens, no mattter what prior planning. And Moroni is always looking back counting us teachers like a momma duck looking for her ducklings. Ha ha we may give him a heart attack before he's 25.

Tehuacan was so much fun! We got there at about midnight and slept in the school where 2 head teachers live. We through down 3 mattresses for the 4 of us girls and just kind of slept wherever.

Moroni texts Nicki and I's phone at about midnight and asked if in the morning we'd like to see a real Mexican Market. And then again at 2 AM saying " TAKE IT EASY!!" Which is completely irrelevant but you should here him say it with his adorable accent. Anyways I guess real Mexican Markets are markets of carnage. I had to move to the side in the door way to get out of the way of 2 guys carrying a giant cow. Dead. And skinned. EW. There were pig heads and chickens lying around everywhere I almost puked.

After that we went to the Zoo. Every group of ILP Teachers who goes to this zoo gets invited into the owners house, or gets to hold some cool exotic baby animal. This guy is a millionaire. A lonely millionaire. With all this amazing stuff and no one to show it off to. So he told us that a baby jaguar would be there in about 45 min so we waited and looked at the animals. Then this old beetle bug pulls up and this guy pulls a small cat carrier out of his backseat and in it is the baby jaguar!


The owner man told the guy to put it in his garden. So we all go to his garden. It has a giant pool, tropical plants, flamingos wandering around... amazing. Not to mention his beautiful house. He gets us coke and juice and he gave us a tour and we got to play with the baby jaguar! It possibly went poo a little on my jeans. But possibly I wasn't too upset because it was the poo of a jaguar and not some lame kind of poo. I mean who gets pooed on by a jaguar! A few girls including Nicki almost got peed on by a Lion. That was almost really hilarious. Anyways the guy was all telling us about these fossils he has and this dinosaur egg and his private jet and to come over anytime, but we were LATE. Of course. For our ILP barbecue.

We had the most amazinggg food and horchata, and had a soccer tourni and cumbia danced for HOURS. I feel like I really improved : ) It is so much fun to just get into it and be twirled around to the music.

That night we went and got ice cream and went to the center of town to a cathedral that had the whole history of Tehuacan painted on the ceiling. We laid down on the ground and looked at it and ate ice cream. Then we went back to the school and sat and talked on the roof and star gazed. I love it here. I love Mexico so much.

I need to be more diligent in my Spanish studying though!! My new thing is if I know a phrase in Spanish to always say it instead of English, no matter who I'm with. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Abrazos y Besos,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment