8.4.11

eating my cake

On windy rainy Friday nights, when you are a little bit homesick, the best thing to do in my mind is to curl up in my chair with my blanket, sip some soup, and read a good book. Which is exactly what I did tonight.

Ukraine is hard. I knew I was signing up for a challenge, but I didn't know exactly what those challenges would entail. We have the obvious ones, the leaving the family and moving to a place entirely unfamiliar. That didn't scare me, I have done that before and lived, had a blast and the experience of a lifetime. However, Mexico is polar opposite of Ukraine. Mexico is warm, I lived with a lovely host family whom I absolutely adored. I was fed delicious food on a daily basis, and ate fresh mangoes and tortillas until my pants were too tight. I fell in love with the country and the people & the culture... the sunshine and the beautiful places I was so privileged to see. I loved my toddlers that I got to teach everyday and there sweet little hugs, and I look back on those bright sunny days with a feeling not unlike a bad breakup.

But life would not be life if every country I decided to be a part of for a short while was a constant celebration. Ukraine has opened my eyes to an entirely different way of life, and entirely different culture and attitude. I have learned so much about myself, and continue to do so in my journey in being here, and in being a head teacher and having the opportunity to work with such sweet amazing girls ( and tysen our only boy, you are not forgotten). As a head teacher, I haven't so much realized that I am an outstanding leader, but I have realized what it takes to be one, and my weaknesses in this area... I am working hard to be those things and turn those weaknesses into capabilities, and my teachers are such an example to me with their patience and hard work, I am so grateful.

The people of Ukraine may not smile EVER or shower you with adoration and affection, but they are some of the sweetest people I have ever been associated with behind the solemn facade. It can be kind of intimidating when all the Ukrainian women are tromping around over uneven and broken sidewalks in their stilettos and you feel so painfully American, or each time a Babush yells at you and you don't know why, but all is made up for when you open your heart and give the people a chance, and you will see random acts of kindness that make you think.. well, this country isn't cold and heartless after all.

So friends, I made this cake and now I am going to eat it with a smile on my face. If that makes sense. Between skype dates with my amazing fiance and laughs with my chicas and roomies, I will get through, and in 7 more Mondays I will come home a better person, with a stronger struggle muscle, and a great appreciation for all of our blessings in the States. Also a suitcase full of chocolate. It's SO GOOD HERE. GO UKRAINE!!!

Love,
Kayla

P.S. The trees have little blossoms them. Which means that spring eventually does happen here.



2 comments:

  1. I love this Kayla. I have definitely felt all of those emotions before. It takes a little more effort to find the enjoyable things in an area that has been through so much, but as you know, once you do, it's that much more beautiful. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a smart one, Kayla. Way to persevere amidst your struggles---I very much admire that:)

    ReplyDelete