5.4.10

adventuras de lunes

Today I woke up at 7:30 because my host parents said we were leaving at 8 to go swimming. I woke up and the house was still silent. I set my alarm for 8:30, I woke up, and still, silence. Sometimes I just need to trust that we are in Mexico, and yes, we will always always run on Mexico Standard Time, which is like Mormon Standard Time but way more cool. It's always like 2 hours later than you say.

We got to the place around 11, and it was like this vacation community with a bunch of hotels and a pool that has an uncanny resemblance to the Moses Lake Family Aquatic Center. It was such a fun day!! Hannah and I got closer to our goal of having trouble crossing the border due to our super tanness, and we got to splash around and have chicken fights in this pool. It was almost a normal pool besides the fact that I wouldn't have been to shocked if there were ice burgs floating around in it. Yes, it was that cold, and that refreshing.

We played volleyball with some kids our age that we met there. Let me just tell you something. Today, my volleyball skills looked pretty decent in contrast to the rest of the ILP teachers. Like 8th grade B team decent, which was as far as my volleyball aspirations ever went. Anyways that's how bad we all were. But I had fun : ). I usually try to avoid team sports at all costs, to avoid humiliation and getting hit in the face with the ball, which trust me, always happens. Some people are the ones who always get stranded on the toilet, some people always get hit in the face with basketballs, volleyballs and dodgeballs. Oh wait, both of those are me. I am freeking always stranded... " Papel por favor!!"... ha ha anyway..

When we got back I was in the shower and Shalim yells at me through the door to see if I wanted to go get a haircut with her. Yes I did!! I had been mortified at the condition of my hair all week. So... This tall skinny mexican guy in a purple button down gave me the best hair cut I've ever had. I never like my haircuts. Ask any boyfriend I've ever had, I always freak and possibley cry after hair cuts, no one ever does it right. But this guy did it. With the help of his buddy who looked about 16. So at one point I had two men blow drying my hair. I wish I could have taken a picture. So a good hair cut and a blow out for like 10 bucks. I love Mexico.

Later this evening Nick and I went to get ice cream, and upon returning we found Steph and Hannah sitting on our porch locked out. We were going to watch a movie. Did we have a key? No. So I climbed up on the truck that was parked outside our house and climbed up on the ledge of the roof, and swung over the other side. On top of our roof live two giant dogs. Tom, a black lab, and Kasey, a german shepard. They seemed super happy to see me, which doesn't inspire much confidence on account of I am pretty sure that they would be happy to see anyone who was coming to break in.

Anyways I got through the door up there, but so did the dogs. Tom bolted outside as soon as the door was open, and Kasey went in to chill on Nicki's bed. I went after Kasey first. I threw a slew of Spanish commands at him, but he just stared at me all guilty like and wouldn't move. So, I left him there and chased Tom down the street with Steph and Hannah. I did not think we would catch him. But then he decided to pee on a bush. Steph was all, "Get him while he pees!!! So I did. But he was so strong he was dragging me so Steph and I both had to hold his collar and walk him back. And Kasey listened to Nicki and went outside. I need to be more intimidating.

Tomorrow I am back to teaching!! I miss my kiddos!! Only for 2 hours a day though since technically Mexico is on vacation for another week so it will be more like day care.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! So my name is Kaitlyn, and I just found your blog while searching ILP through google. I was accepted to go next spring to mexico, so it is cool to read your blog!! my email is kdwiggins13@cox.net and I would love to ask you questions about your experience! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah feel free to ask anything you want! It's been an amazing experience and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone... I think anyone who plans on being a parent should definitely do it ha ha I have learned so much. You can find me on facebook, it's kayla jean chamberlain, or you can email me at cha09008@byui.edu

    ReplyDelete