21.2.11

recipes for happiness: carrot & ginger soup

I decided to branch out and explore different soups. Why soups? What else would you want to sit down to after walking home in freezing temperatures??? Not much else. I didn't make this recipe up though, I googled it. At Mega Mart today, I decided that I am getting really effective at being linguistically challenged. I bring my russian/english dictionary with the ingredients bookmarked and underlined. I know how to say where is. So I say where is and then I point to the word in my book. I am getting better at sounding out the words, but not good enough to where a native would understand me.

So here we go, Carrot & Ginger soup

3/4 stick unsalted butter ( yuck I used maybe a tablespoon to saute the ginger and that's it)
1/4 c. finely chopped ginger root (seriously. chop it FINELY. ginger chunks are a little surprising)
7 c. chicken stock
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. carrots, peeled, in 1/2 inch pieces ( I used 4 giant carrots)
Pinch curry powder
1 lg. chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. dry white wine ( I used orange juice instead )
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute for 15-20 minutes. Add stock, orange juice and carrots. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered over medium heat until carrots are tender, about 45 minutes. You are supposed to puree the soup in a blender... I don't have one. But we did have something close to a potatoe masher. It basically did the job. Season with lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper.


Ok so I am eating it and these are my thoughts. You need to puree it. I feel like it needs to be smooth. It is delicious, especially with fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top. It smells like Thanksgiving. Then ginger gives it an awesome kick. Fiance and I were skyping while I was making it, and he says that carrots and ginger in a soup sound grossnast. We will see what he thinks when I trick him into eating it down the road. And plus ginger is crazy good for you, it is supposed to help everything from ovarian cancer to migraines, and carrots are loaded with vitamin A. Eat up.


And now I would like to shout out to my Sorel snowboots, for empowering me to plow through the snow and slush while the rest of the women teeter around on stilettos.
I love heels. But in the snow? Really?? Crazies. Yes, my boots may look like I stole them from a man. But my toes are toasty.

luvs,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment