27.2.11

dead guys in caves and stuff

Yesterday was GREAT

First off I finally got to go to the temple here in Kyiv and do baptisms. It is BEAUTIFUL. I love seeing temples around the world, each one is so special.

After that I met up Ameri and our regional coordinator, Tania, at the train station to get tickets to go to Lviv this weekend. Without Tania, we would not have tickets. Customer service hasn't made it this far around the globe, and the lady was so frustrated with a native trying to get 17 tickets, I don't know what she would have done if it was just Ameri and I and our super limited vocabulary. Actually I do, she probably would have yelled at us and shut the blinds at her little booth. I am way excited for this weekend, I have never been on a sleeper train before. Or any train for that matter. In fact when I was little I used to be afraid of trains, we lived close to some train tracks and the noise would freak me out, which can be attributed to the fact that I had a dream that Thomas the Train drove through my house and tried to run my family over.


Yeah, remember this guy?? I still do.

So then after we battled the lady and got our tickets, we went to the Lavra, which like I thought, were cave monasteries. These monks would come, dig out a cave and shuts themselves up in them. They had one tiny window, for food. They were completely silent and did not come out, and the only way anyone knew that they had died is when they quit taking the food. Then, they would seal the window up and leave the body in there. I guess they never got the "be in the world, but not of the world" memo. Sad. Some monks were just mummifed.. and we all bought candles and walked through the caves and saw their bodies that were in glass coffins.. it was gross a little bit. You could see their not fully decomposed hands. I got kind of queasy. I felt bad for the kid who's mom was going by and making him kiss every coffin and do the little catholic prayer, that would not be my favorite.
This is the lavra, the tall building is the bell tower that we loco danced next to, and the caves are built underground on this hill. Obviously it doesn't look like this now, it is covered in snow.


We went and toured a little cathedral, and singing is supposed to sound really bueno in there with the ceilings and whatnot, so Tania asked if we wanted to sing, so we busted out some hymns, and it really sounded beautiful. Also we had mad crazy interpretive dancing to the bell chimes, which started out as an effort to keep warm and turned into majorly fun and entertaining.

Next we went to Catholic Mass. I have never been. The contrast between the way I felt at the temple and the way I felt there was so insane!! Mass was dark and mysterious and confusing while the temple was full of light and peace and hope. I had never been to another church before so it was really interesting to experience. I am so thankful to know the things that I know and to belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. SO GRATEFUL.

Today Ameri and I abused our snooze buttons, and both accidentally turned our alarms off, and woke up at the time we normally leave for church. We booked it like no other!! And we had to hike down our stairs because our elevator is broken again. We practically ran to the metro, ran up to catch our bus and missed it! We got there right as they shut the doors. The best part was though, we still beat half the teachers there, and were 10 min early. Small miracle I tell you. On Sundays I put leggings over my tights, and put my heels in my backpack and then just swap when I get there, my shoes always get so muddy walking around.


Ooook buds well I am off to bed! Ready to start a new week in Ukraine : )

Luvs,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment