12.2.11

a whole new worlddd

When you go to a new country, your standards of what is gross and what is normal are kind of blurred. Like in the states, I would be not happy that the washer can only fit like a pair of jeans in it, and that it lives in the kitchen. Or the fact that we haven't had power the last two nights. But something always happens to me when I'm abroad where I become a lot more easy going and roll with the punches better, because everything is different. For example, the fact that I sleep on a pullout bed with Ameri every night. It's whatevs. It's good practice for when I get married so I quit trying to take up the whole bed and stretch out over people.

Or when you are waiting for a bus,and it comes, and the doors open and it is so packed that a few people fall out of it, and you are thinking wow, it will be a miracle if I can fit, and you try anyway, and then 15 people come in behind you.You don't have to even hold on because you are so packed in there you couldn't move if you wanted to. But you are happy because at least it's warm.


Or the fact that you have to use a fork to both open our washing machine and start our microwave. In the states that would drive me up the wall, here it is hilarious.

And now I would like to tell you what a wonderful Fiance I have, because he is sooo busy, but he is taking time to go rip the carpet out of our little cottage so we can have new carpet put in on Monday. He is number one. And so is new carpet.

Today we are going to St. Sofia cathedral even though there is a small blizzard happening outside. And then, we will take off to our little branch feast where there is a promise of tacos and food brought in from the Embassy commissary. Needless to say I have been looking forward to it all week with a fiery passion. TACOS!! Ahhh!!

ALSO, I have officially been in Kyiv for a month. Ta da!


No comments:

Post a Comment