18.3.10

Can I just tell you that I love my host Momma? She is the best. She is one of the most hilarious people I know, and I will always remember Nick and Brother Bedford and I laughing our butts off while helping her make delicious food each afternoon.

Also, Nicki and I decided that we should culture our family and feed them tomatoe soup and grilled cheese. So Nick and I made dinner tonight. And I cannot tell if they pretended to like it or not, but my host mom likes that is was facil y muy rapido. For those of you that failed spanish 1 that means easy and fast. My host mom doesn't even like to cook, she does it because that is the culture here. How lucky are we to be able to toss a frozen lasagna in the oven and be able to say, " I made dinner."

This morning at 9 we took a bus to the center of town, got off and wandered around till we found the post office so that I could pick up the package from my Dad that they had been holding hostage. I was looking around the Zocalo and all the beautiful buildings and couldn't help but feel so lucky to be in such a beautiful place. Colonial Mexico is beautiful, and the buildings are amazing. However, much to our.. alarm/confusion this post office didn't sell envelopes. In any form. The only box they sell is this 2 foot long triangular box. What the junk right? Nope, we're in Mexico, and stuff is just random like that. So we opened my package that is PACKED beyond packed with about 20 pounds of amazing goodness, and took out a brownie mix box and Nickster sent her package in that since we couldn't find another box.

Afterwards we stopped at this bakery and got 3 amazing fresh pastries for a grand total of 3 pesos. Yes,I said 3 pesos.. to put this into perspective 1 cinnomon roll at my favorite Griffin' s Bakery in Mo-Town would be about 40 pesos. So then, after walking a block with our baked goods and my giant package in search of a bus home, we looked at each other and said, "Taxi?" Ha ha ha. Did it cost 8 times as much as a bus? Yep. But taking a bus involves ehh finding one and also the risk of ending up completely lost in shady parts of town.

So anyways between the contents of this package and the Mexican food I eat daily I should be running twice as much. Esta bien though right? Just part of the adventure? I've never lived in a foreign country before.. never been fat before.. just trying new things left and right!!

When I get back to the states I will probably be all.. "AHHH what are you doing!!! DON'T DRINK THE TAP WATER you will die!!".. and " Did someone turn the boiler on so I can shower??" And my roomies will be all.. " Who the crap is putting their used toilet paper in the trash that is disgusting." And also , " Why are you wearing a sweater it's 70 degrees outside??" When in Mexico...

Oh yes. I have been looking at jobs too.. because what if I don't get this scholarship? And what if I want some sort of income to do something crazy with like save money? Anyways.. the only one that I could apply for conflicts with my class schedule, and plus you have to wear nylons. Sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment