21.3.10

Today after church we went to our family's ranchito. It is like a farm petting zoo. They have cows and bunnies and horses and goats and sicknast turkeys. They own a restaurant on site, so sometimes after church we go there to eat. I always eat quesadillas. I am a quesadilla fiend. However, today everyone got served Conejo. Conejo.. is bunny. So its cool, you get to go to the Ranchito, play with the adorable baby bunnies.. and then go in and eat their mom. I'm not anti-meat. I'm anti eating the adorable. I think I have mentioned this before.

Somewhere along the line during my stay here my mom must have noticed that every time we have conejo I slip it onto someone else's plate, or say I'm not hungry, because she was all, " Why don't you like conejo??" and I kept saying "No se no se".. I can't tell them that I don't want to eat it because I think it's gross. Anyways she was all.. "Well they are out killing a chicken just for you." I felt the blood drain from my face. I know you aren't supposed to say no to food here. I know that! I just thought I was being sneaky, and my host sister Dariian doesn't like conejo either, so why can't it have been ok?! So anyways I was near tears thinking about this poor chicken, and the fact that my family probably hates me for not eating the bunny,when my mom turned to me and told me that they were kidding about killing it for me, and she told me where they buy it. Thank goodness. Thank goodness.

Anyways, when it was time to leave our host mom handed Garret the car keys, and asked him if he knew how to get home. " I hope," he said. Yes I was freaking out. People in Mexico drive completely insane. For example my host mom honks at stop signs and barrels on through without even slowing down. Traffic laws are... more like suggestions. Anyway, so Nick the two teachers from Tehuacan and I all climb in and I don't know about them but I was definitely praying that we wouldn't die. My ideal Sunday doesn't involve.. eh.. death. Also, the gas light was on. To avoid thinking about the fact that Garret was driving stick and didn't really know how, in Mexico, with no gas, I talked to Nelly a teacher from Tehuacan.

We are so blessed here in Puebla with our circumstances. At her house there is never enough food, she has to hand wash her clothes and take bucket showers. She lives in somewhat of a ghetto. I had no idea the other teachers were dealing with that stuff, and I thought not having a dryer was lame.

Anyways, we looked out the window and saw our exit pass by on the left. Whoops. We are soo lucky that Nick has a good sense of direction!! After like 3 U-turns, we finally made it home, safe. Which is crazy.

P.S.. My host mom doesn't speak any english besides," take care," which Garret taught her last week. So when she talks to me it's in Spanish, and I surprise myself with how much I am understanding lately : )

P.S. otra vez... I milked a cow today.

1 comment:

  1. Could you maybe post a blog entirely devoted to your cow milking experience? :) haha, love ya

    ReplyDelete